What is Flava?
Flava is a newbie on the buy now, pay later or BNPL scene and its service is different from the rest because it’s not focusing on fashion or homewares, but food. Put simply, this interest-free payment service allows you to buy cupboard-staple groceries and spread the cost of these items over four weeks in equal chunks. We’ve set out what this means in practice, and what to bear in mind.
Services and Features
- Zero-interest. Each purchase made through Flava is interest-free.
- Pay over four weeks. Spread your purchase across four weeks.
- Grocery focussed. Flava is the first UK buy now, pay later service allowing you to shop and pay later for grocery items.
- No late payment charges. Flava won’t charge you for late payments.
- No credit check. You don’t need to pass any form of traditional credit check to shop at Flava. All that is required is for you to create an account and have a valid debit/credit card in order to make future payments.
- Basket credit increases as you repay. All new customers receive an initial basket credit of £40 per order when they sign up for a free account. If you continue to repay on time, this credit will increase to a maximum of £100 per order.
When you join, you’ll be offered the option to sign up to a free trial of Flava Benefits, which you can cancel at any time. You don’t have to sign up to this – you can choose to skip it. Flava Benefits offers various discounts and free delivery, but it’s worth noting that after the free trial, the price will be £14.99 for the first month and then £4.99 a month.
With the free account, you must spend a minimum of £30 (with a top credit limit of £40) to place an order. There is also a standard delivery charge for all orders, which is set at £6.99, and this must be paid alongside your first payment.
How does Flava work?
Unlike services like Klarna or Clearpay, Flava isn’t a service that kicks in at the checkout of another brand’s site. Instead of doing your shopping at your regular online supermarket and then selecting Flava when it’s time to pay, you do your shopping on Flava’s own website, ordering goods from Flava and paying for them later.To use Flava, you first need to sign up for an account. If you choose the free option, you’ll get a £40 credit limit to spend straight away. There are no credit checks involved in setting this up.
To shop, you fill your online basket with the grocery staples you want; there are goods from well-known brands such as Cadbury, Kellogg’s, Heinz and Andrex. You will also see a list of deals on the home page that may or may not be helpful to you. After this, you head to the checkout.
You pay for the goods in four equal payments over four weeks, with a debit or credit card. You select the first payment timing when you place your order and the remaining three payments will be taken on a weekly basis after that. Flava will send your goods two to three business days after you make the first payment.
Pros and Cons of Flava
- Buy it now, pay for it later. With Flava you can order your chosen items when you want them and cover the full cost later on, without having to wait until payday.
- Interest free. Flava never charges shoppers interest.
- First pay later service for groceries. Allows shoppers to browse cupboard staples from key brands such as Heinz, Andrex and Cadbury.
- No credit check. Unlike many other providers, Flava claims it does not run any form of credit check on you before allowing you to use the service.
- No hidden or late fees. You will never be surprised with nasty fees. The only time you will pay more than the items themselves is for delivery, or if you choose the “Top Pick” account when you sign up.
- No fresh food. The foods that are available are cupboard staples like baked beans, super noodles, cereal, sweets and biscuits.
- Not always cheaper. Flava offers big-name brands only and these are often slightly more expensive than the same item sold in traditional supermarkets.
- Costly delivery fee. If you sign up for the free account, you’ll pay a hefty £6.99 for delivery, which is more expensive than many of the major supermarket delivery charges.
Frequently Asked Questions
How much does Flava cost to use?
If you choose the free standard account, the only fee you will be charged on top of the amount for your items is £6.99 for delivery. Other than that, Flava does not charge interest fees or late fees.
If you want the “Top Pick” account – which gives you a credit limit of up to £120, free delivery, discounted items and daily deals – it will cost you from £10 a month.
What happens if I can’t make a Flava payment?
Flava won’t charge you any late fees. If for whatever reason you can’t make one or all of your scheduled payments, call 037 0777 9957 or use the contact form to get in touch with the team who will help you re-schedule the amount for a date that works better for you.
Does Flava perform a credit check?
On its website, Flava states that you don’t need to pass any form of traditional credit check to use its service.
How to sign up for Flava
It’s pretty easy really. Head to flava.co.uk and create an account. You will have to provide your basic details such as your name, address and date of birth. After this, you’ll have a choice to sign up for a free account, or select the “Top Pick” Flava benefits account, costing from £10 a month.
What can I do if something goes wrong?
On the off chance that you encounter a problem with Flava, we suggest taking a look at the list of handy frequently asked questions on the site. Can’t find your query on there? Give Flava a call on 037 0777 9957, or send a query via the contact form.
Which card does Flava accept?
Flava accepts all major debit and credit cards including Visa and Mastercard.
Do you do any Credit Checks?
No!. To shop at Flava you don’t need to pass any form of traditional credit checks. All that is required is for you to create a FREE account and have a valid debit/credit card in order to make the future payments.
Where do I go to manage my payments?
When will my first payment be taken?
Do Flava charge any FEES?
Nope!. We don’t charge you any fees whatsoever, No joining FEES, No late payment FEES, no upgrade FEES. Absolutely NO FEES! .
How much can I spend with Flava?
What if I can’t make the re-payments?
At Flava we offer a fexlible re-payment plan, so if you are unable to make any of your re-payments simply get in touch and we will re-schedule the amount due to a date that works for you.
Can I place more than one order?
All new customers are limited to one Order until we get to know you as a customer. This means you can still order your groceries on Credit, but you will be unable to place any subsequent orders until you have re-paid (in full) your first order.
How do I cancel my Flava Benefits Subscription?
Simply log into your Flava account, in the footer of the website simply click the link named ‘Cancelling Flava Benefits’. You’ll then be redirected to the cancellation page, simply click the button named ‘Cancel My Flava Benefits Subscription’. Once this is clicked your Flava Benefits subscription will be cancelled.
How much credit do you give me to shop?
All new customers will receive an initial Basket Credit of £40.00 per order to begin with. As we get to know you as a customer your Basket Credit will increase significantly to a maximum credit of £100.00 per order so long as you make your payments on-time and be a good customer.