Barclays Credit cards are one of the most convenient and flexible ways of borrowing money. Credit cards allow you to spread the cost of your purchases over time.
Before applying for a credit card, it’s important that you are aware of the costs if you choose to use it, and that you know that you should only borrow what you can afford to pay back.
To get the most out of your credit card, it is important that you can meet your scheduled payment dates – and make sure that you pay what you owe in full every month.
There are not enough good credit cards available for those who feel like they are stuck in the middle – those with average or fair credit standings. The Barclaycard has some good features designed for the average-credit market.
So what exactly is an average credit? In the strictest sense, it is a FICO score that range between 650 and 699. However, that is just really a guideline. And since the market has already loosened up, you may get approved with a score of a little below 650.
Even though credit cards can come with a lot of benefits, it is important to also consider the following:
- The amount you can afford to borrow. Consider whether you can really afford a credit card before you apply.
- Late payment fees. Fees would be charged if you make late payments or miss them, which will negatively affect your credit rating and could affect your ability to get credit in the future.
- Going over your credit limit. You can occasionally make big transactions that may take you over your credit limit. If you do this, you will be charged with an over limit fee. You can use their mobile app or Barclaycard online account servicing so you can keep track of what you are spending.
Barclays Credit Cards
Many people may not be familiar with Barclays credit cards since they are relatively new entrants. The credit card is part of the Barclays Group that traces its roots to the United Kingdom. Barclays is one of the most stable financial institutions in the world with a history of over 300 years.
Barclays is a banking giant that steeped in history with links to dozens of banks throughout the past 325 years. The bank even boasts of an extensive historical archive, with the oldest artifact dating back to 1567.
The cards of the U.K.-based company are best known for their travel-friendly features, such as chip and PIN capability which enable its users to use the card at automated travel kiosks, including those that are found at train stations. This is a must for those traveling in Europe since several major American cards do not offer the PIN feature.
Types Of Barclays Credit Cards
- Barclaycard Platinum 29-month balance-transfer card
- 0% interest on purchases 3 months after account opening
- Credit limit of £150, up to £1,200
- Free and ongoing access to your Experian Credit Score (conditions will apply)
- Barclaycard Platinum no-fee 20-month balance-transfer card
- 0% interest on purchases 6 months after account opening
- 0% interest on balance transfers for a period of 20 months (no fees will be charge). However, you will need to make your transfers within the first 60 days so you can enjoy the 0% offer
- Barclaycard Platinum 18-month purchase and balance-transfer card
- 0% interest on purchases 18 months after account opening
- 0% interest on balance transfers for a period of 18 months. A fee amounting to 2.7% will be charged. However, you will need to make your transfers within the first 60 days so you can enjoy the 0% offer
- Barclaycard Platinum 18-month balance-transfer card
- 0% interest on purchases 3 months after account opening
- 0% interest on balance transfers for a period of 18 months. A fee amounting to 2.99% will be charged. However, you will need to make your transfers within the first 60 days so you can enjoy the 0% offer
- Barclaycard Platinum cashback plus card
- 25% cashback on everything you spend until 31 August 2023
- You can get £15 back when you spend £1500 in the first 3 months after account opening
- No fees abroad. You would not have to pay fees on non-sterling purchases and cash withdrawals until the 31st of August 2023
Benefits Of A Barclays Credit Card
Having a Barclaycard comes with a full set of features and benefits that will help you get more out of today. Some of these include:
- Purchase Protection. Like other credit cards, you could be protected if your purchases arrive damaged, faulty, or if they don’t turn up when you pay with your Barclaycard.
- One single fee abroad. When using your Barclaycard to purchase something or withdraw cash abroad, you will need to pay a single fee amounting to 2.99% per transaction. You will also get up to 56 days’ interest free on whatever you spend.
- Manage your account easily. Be on top of your account wherever you are with the Barclaycard online servicing and Barclaycard app. You can set up email and text alerts to help you stay in the loop.
- Enjoy heaps of entertainment benefits. Admin fees (booking and delivery fees) on tickets will not be charged every Friday. You can also enjoy exclusive extras such as presales, competitions, and the VIP treatment at the Barclaycard Arena Birmingham.
How To Pay Your Barclaycard Bills
- Direct Debit. You can easily pay your bill with the use of your debit card within Barclaycard online servicing and their Barclaycard mobile app.
You have the option to set up automated payments using a Direct Debit. There are three Direct Debit payment options. You can choose to pay the minimum amount, the full balance, or a fixed amount (subject to some minimum payment requirements). If your card is eligible, you can set up Direct Debit within Barclaycard online servicing or by contacting their Customer Services Team.
- Barclaycard online servicing or the Barclaycard App. If you are making a payment from Barclaycard online servicing, you must select ‘Payments’ in the main menu.
On the other hand, when making a payment using the Barclaycard app, simply choose ‘Make a payment’ from the main menu.
- Other Options. If you are an account holder of Barclays then you can choose to pay via the telephone and online services of your respective bank.
You can also pay over the phone by contacting their Customer Services Team. You will need to provide some details from your Barclaycard and your debit card.
For full details of all payment options, you can check your statement.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What information am I required provide to log into Barclaycard online servicing?
Answer: To log into your Barclaycard online servicing, you are required to provide your username/ID number, your passcode, and your memorable word. These details were already provided when you applied for a Barclaycard, or when you registered to manage your Barclaycard online servicing account.
- How do I choose a username for Barclaycard online servicing?
Answer: Your username must be between 8 and 16 characters and it must contain both letters and numbers but no spaces. If the username you requested is already in use, you will be asked to try again. It is recommended that you do not duplicate log in information with those you use at other financial institutions.
- I forgot my username and/or ID number, can I still access my account?
Answer: Yes. You can use your card number instead.
- I forgot my passcode and/or memorable word, can I still access my account?
Answer: Yes. However, you will be required to provide some account information to allow you to log into your account.
If you have forgotten both your passcode and your memorable word, you just have to select the ‘Forgotten passcode’ link located on the login screen and follow the instructions to reset your Passcode.
You also have the option to select ‘Remember my username/ID number’ on the login screen for some help remembering – and once you are logged in, you can change your security details at any time by choosing ‘Secure login details’ which you can find under ‘Your details’ in the top menu.
- Can I change my ID number to a username instead?
Answer: You have the option to change any of your login details. To change your ID number to a username, you can log into your account and select ‘Secure login details’ which you will easily find under ‘Your details’ in the top menu.
- How can I find out the interest rate on my card?
Answer: You can easily find your interest rates on your statement. You should log in or register at Barclaycard online servicing to check out your statement.
- What happens if my card expires?
Answer: Barclays will send a replacement card with contactless technology just before the expiration of your current card.
- My Barclaycard is scheduled to expire, when can I receive my replacement?
Answer: Your replacement Barclaycard will arrive 3-6 weeks before the expiration of your current card. If you still haven’t received the card after this time, you can give their Customer Services Team a call.
- How do I order a replacement Barclaycard?
Answer: You can request a replacement card through Barclaycard account service.
You just need to log into Barclaycard online servicing and select ‘Order a replacement card’ which you can find under ‘Accounts & Services’ in the top menu.
Once they receive your request, you should have your replacement card within 5 working days.
You must note that for security reasons, they send the replacement cards to the address of the primary account holder. And in case the delivery of your replacement card is delayed, your old card will remain active for a few weeks.
- If my Barclaycard is lost or stolen, can my card still be used for contactless payments?
Answer: Barclaycard treats the security of their customers as their top priority so they utilise some of the most advanced technology to protect your contactless payments.
If ever your card is lost or stolen, they guarantee 100% protection against fraudulent activity on your account. You just need to contact them as soon as you can and they will take care of the rest.
- What happens to Contactless Mobile if I lose my device?
Answer: If ever your device gets lost or stolen you should contact them immediately on 01604 230 230, or +44 1604 230 230 if ever you are abroad, so that they can block Contactless Mobile on your device.
However, your credit card will still be available for you to use.
If ever you relocate your device, you can simply re-enable Contactless Mobile by logging into the Barclaycard app.
Once you get a new device, you can enable Contactless Mobile once you have installed the Barclaycard app.
- What happens to Contactless Mobile if I lose my device?
Answer: You can easily use Contactless Mobile anywhere you see the contactless symbol, in the United Kingdom or abroad.
You can also use Contactless Mobile for travel, in the same way as your Barclaycard or Oyster card, across the TfL network. You just must touch your Contactless Mobile enabled device against the reader as you enter and exit the gates.
You must remember that your Contactless Mobile account information cannot be used for online or mail order purchases.
To enable Contactless Mobile make sure you have downloaded the latest version of the Barclaycard app. If you have an eligible product and device, the Contactless Mobile will appear as one of the options in the main app menu.
Third Party Reviews
On Trustpilot, 55 out of 316 rated the Barclaycard as Excellent while only 232 out of 316 rated it as bad.
For more reviews regarding Barclaycard, you can check out: https://www.trustpilot.com/review/www.barclaycard.co.uk